YOUTH AND DEADLY WEAPONS
A DAY WITHOUT VIOLENCE
VIRGINIA TECH RESOLUTION
OUR WORK ON BEHALF OF CRIME VICTIMS
Victim Assistance & Support;
-Established a large internet-based network of crime victims all across America the purpose for which is 1) to encourage crime victims to work for crime prevention and 2) to enable crime victims to share experiences and assist one another in the aftermath of crime.
-Brought the RORPF message of prevention to hundreds of victim supporters, law enforcement and public policy makers by speaking at conferences and gatherings all across the nation.
– Worked extensively in Georgia to encourage support for the effort to enact a Victims Rights amendment to the US Constitution which resulted in the passage of the Federal Crime Victims Rights Act (CVRA) signed into law by President George W. Bush in October, 2004. This was the first successful effort to enshrine the rights of crime victims in Federal law.
– Secured passage of a significant amendment to the Georgia Crime Victims Bill of Rights (CVBOR) in 2010. The effort, which took two years to accomplish, further delineated the precise set of rights to which victims are entitled and added protections for crime victims during the criminal justice process.
-Lay the groundwork for the establishment of legal assistance services for crime victims in the state of Georgia. This would involve the following:
1. Enactment of enforcement provisions in the Georgia CVBOR such that a crime victim would have recourse in the event that a statutory-granted right were denied or ignored.
2. Identify a law school or other public/private sector institution that would be willing to establish and maintain a legal services center at their location.
3. Securing funding for a legal staff (lawyers, lobbyists, administrative, etc.) in order to provide pro-bono services for crime victims in both criminal and civil proceedings.
-Maintain and update our web site to ensure it reflects our organizational goals.
-Expand our membership to include both victims and non-victims willing to support our crime prevention initiatives.